HOME| ABOUT US| What is I AM S.T.R.O.N.G?|

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

UA&P I AM S.T.R.O.N.G. : IM my DAD's KID

Krystle shouts:

The holiday season always brings a heart-flipping, pulse-racing feeling to me. From flipping to the last page of the calendar to jumping up and down on New Year’s Eve, the season never fails to give me that happiness that could never be felt exactly the rest of the year. I’m not sure if it’s the Christmas trimmings, or the chilly but inviting air, or the thrill of shopping, the excitement of receiving presents, the fun in giving, or the sudden generosity of everyone—all I know is that the holiday season gets everyone—not just me into that sort-of-crazy happiness that gets everyone to act different (in a good way =P).

For one, we are nicer to everyone. That is why the holidays is the perfect season for us to evaluate our relationship with others. And to whom do we start but with our families. Personally, I think about how my relationship with my family has become compared to the year before: Have I become closer to dad? Can I open up to mom about that boy I like? Are kuya and I talking more? Did I bond more with my little sister? Do I know more about my little brother than I did previously?

Like almost every girl out there, I never really opened up to my dad about certain concerns. There was a time that we do not even talk that much because there was nothing to talk about. So besides talking about how our days went by at dinner time, we never really talk. Also, he is really pre-occupied with work. Helping run the family business talks most of his time and energy that whenever he gets home, we’re already in bed. So we were never really close. When I started going to college, the gap between us became bigger.

But everything changed when my mom left for the states. Dad had to be our mom as well. This meant that in order for us to have a functional relationship, he had to spend more time with us (despite the fact that he had to work double) and eventually, he had to know and get closer to each of us. This is especially hard if you have a son who already works, a daughter in college and two more kids in high school—but my dad made it work.

Despite having to manage the family business and putting up his own, he makes it a point to be the one to bring and fetch my 2 younger siblings to and from school; spend his weeknights at home or on a night out with us; dish out a lot of stuff to talk about on the dinner table or in the car (from our school to his business, from our mom to our friends, from his experiences as a student to ours, from his problems to ours, from what went on when he partied the night before to what went on when we partied… and so much more)—in other words, he was able to facilitate a more open relationship between us.

Although such openness came due to mom’s absence, I am still happy because my dad put so much effort into making our family closer together-- but of course, we had to cooperate. We miss mom, but now we know that dad is and will always be there for and with us no matter what. I guess me and my siblings are very lucky to have such an open relationship with our dad now because we can relate better with each other now—he knows what’s going on with us so he knows how to help us deal with stuff we find ourselves in.

My dad’s real cool. I bet if you get closer to yours, you’ll find out that he is too!

How are you and your dad? Are you close? Getting there? Tell me! =P



30 comments:

Anonymous said...

lucky us who are close to our dads! believe me guys, its great to have your dads close to you...you'll find that they're just like us! we're more alike that we we are different =)

Anonymous said...

im not close with dad because he is too strict. thats why im afraid of him and get uneasy everytime i try to approach him

Anonymous said...

I consider myself to be pretty close to my dad.. We talk and joke A LOT! But in spite of how close we are, I just don't like the idea of telling him about my problems and such. I guess I just prefer sharing happy moments with my dad.

Anonymous said...

i'm not that close with my dad, but we get to spend time. but it's fun hanging out with him.

teltel said...

anonymous #2: intimidation always gets in the way of a relationship to ever start growing-- even with friends. the best way for you to go beyond this intimidation is through communication. try talking to your dad more (and more as you go along)...this way,he will know that you are actually interested in him-- what he is up to and what he has to say...who knows, that could be waht he's been waiting for to open up to you! =P

Anonymous said...

I don't have the "bestfriend" relationship with my dad, but its okay. He's my idol. I think my dad is great!

Anonymous said...

my dad and i are pretty close. but there are still some things i just cant bring myself to talk to him about (boys). haha.

Anonymous said...

haha arent we all? boy talk is such a touchy topic.. =P

Anonymous said...

i, too, am close with my dad! actually, he's more like a friend to me. we talk about a lot of things and he sees me through the most difficult times in my life!

Anonymous said...

I myself wasn't that close to my dad esp during my growing up years but I didn't take it against him though. Pero now that he's gone, then i realized...sayang! I could and I should have tried more to get close to him...you know...like being more open and more loving to him....Oh well...now I miss him..

So ako .I try to be as cool as I could with my kids...

Anonymous said...

yeah dad you're the coolest! hahahaha

Anonymous said...

I am close to my father. Everyone knows im a daddy's girl

Anonymous said...

my dad was the only person in the family who understood me well when i fell inlove

Anonymous said...

I thank my dad for molding me into a God-fearing person

Anonymous said...

I've learned a lot of things about life from him

Anonymous said...

the reason why I chose my husband is because he's just like my dad

Anonymous said...

My dad is strict but he trusts me

Anonymous said...

i love my dad

Anonymous said...

My father is the most understanding parent i could ever have

Anonymous said...

i want to see how my husband is going to be a father, i hope he's just like my dad

Anonymous said...

Sadly, my husband's father didn't show much affection to his 6 children, the result, his children doesn't love him that much

Anonymous said...

Im proud to be a daddy's girl, even if im married

Anonymous said...

I love you daddy

Anonymous said...

My dad made me feel I was his favorite. But I learned lately that we are all his favorite.SMART DAD! But very loving!

Anonymous said...

Baka kaya love mo Dad mo,kasi he condones your bad attitude?

Anonymous said...

Great Dad Krystle!

Anonymous said...

I regret that when my Dad needs me in his hospital bed when he was dying,I was not there always because I was busy with my Boyfriend.I regret it so much.

Anonymous said...

Dads tend to spoil their kids.

Anonymous said...

I would never understand dads who leave their Family for a querida.

Anonymous said...

My Dad is my best friend when my Mom is not around.